How do I install and run Malwarebytes?
To install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking here. Make sure to pick a location where you can find the setup file after it downloads. Run the file once the download completes.
- Choose Yes if the User Account Control dialog appears
- The installer will take you through a few options that you may want to configure. If you don’t understand a particular screen, we recommend just clicking Next to use the default settings.
- At the end of the install, just click Finish and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will automatically start.
To use Malwarebytes:
Go HERE for Malwarebytes User Guides
How do I properly perform Windows updates?
- With Windows XP, click on the Start button in the lower left portion of the screen, then click on Custom.
- After the computer finishes searching for updates, there will be the options of High Priority, Optional Software and Optional Hardware in the left side column. Click on High Priority if there are any in that file and check all that are in the list.
- Click on Software Optional and check all that are in that list EXCEPT Windows Search 4.0.
- Click on Hardware Optional and check all that are in that list.
- Near the top of the page, click on the Green button with an arrow that says Review and Install Updates.
- Click on Install Updates and wait for install to complete.
- After updates are complete, the Restart Now button will come up. Go ahead and click Restart Now and wait for computer to reboot.
How do I thoroughly and properly clean temporary folders?
- Go to www.ccleaner.com.
- Click on Download CCleaner Now.
- The option of Download from Filehippo.com and Alternative Download appears. Click on Download from Filehippo.com.
- At the upper right top, there is a larger Green arrow down button. Click on it to begin the downloading process. (If your Pop Up blocker prevents completion, tell it to download)
- When the Information box comes up, select Run.
- When the Setup Wizard comes up, click on Next.
- When you get to the Install Options, UNCHECK Add Run Cleaner to Recycle Bin context menu, and UNCHECK Add Open Run Cleaner to Recycle Bin context menu. Also UNCHECK Add Yahoo CCleaner Toolbar and Use CCleaner from your browser.
- Click on Install, and after its done, click on Finish.
- To begin the CCLEANER program, click on it from the Icon that was created on the desktop. When the box opens, click on Analyze. This process may take several minutes.
- When it’s complete, click on Run Cleaner. A box will pop up telling you this program will permanently delete files — click on Yes.
- When it is finished, just close the window by clicking on the X in the upper right corner.
What and Why should I Defrag?
definition: defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of fragmentation in file systems. It does this by physically organizing the contents of the disk to store the pieces of each file close together and contiguously. It also attempts to create larger regions of free space using compaction to impede the return of fragmentation. Some defragmenters also try to keep smaller files within a single directory together, as they are often accessed in sequence.
Defragmenting can improve overall performance by roughly 10-20 percent if done following these guidelines:
- 2-3 times in a row, once or twice per year
- 3-4 times per year with frequent pictures, music, video downloading, etc.
- Excessive defragmenting shortens the lifespan of the hard drive
Ctrl + X = Cut
Ctrl + V = Paste
Ctrl + Z = Undo
Ctrl + S = save quickly
Ctrl + A = select All
Alt + left arrow = back one page
Alt + right arrow = forward one page
Alt + F4 = Close or Exit
F5 = refresh page
F6 = opens address bar
Ctrl + N = new window
Ctrl + T = new Tab window (newer browsers)